RE: FrameMaker defaults

Subject: RE: FrameMaker defaults
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:52:42 -0500

Henry Vandelinde wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to set the textbox default
> font to a selected tag in FM?

Henry,

I can immediately think of two scenarios: 1) you are NOT using sidehead
columns, and 2) you ARE using sidehead columns.

1) NO sideheads - If you are drawing a text frame to use as a call-out,
you're pretty much going to get the "Body" tag as the default. I am assuming
that you have already created a separate tag for the callout.

There are a few different methods for inserting a call-out that you've
defined (single cell tables, frames on the Reference page, and so forth),
but they all require you to create a separate para tag. If you are doing
that anyway, you may as well just keep changing the tag after you've drawn
the text frame.

Personally,I use single cell tables inside the text frame as it allows me to
use some layout features.

2) Sideheads - Set up a para tag with all your call-out preferences
(typeface, size, sidehead alignment, etc). and give it a wacky name like
"Zcallout". The reason for starting its name with a "Z" is that you can very
quickly insert a call-out by hitting <F9> (the accelerator key on a PC -
don't know the key stroke for you Mac-olites) and then pressing <Z>. Since
too many other tags can start with "C" (Chapter, CrossRef, etc), using "Z"
prevents you from having to scroll through different tag names to find the
call-out tag.

Hope this helps.

Rob Domaschuk
Technical Writer, Datalogics inc.
312.853.8337 - t
810.958.2937 - f

"The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
indifferent.
That's the essence of inhumanity"
- G.B. Shaw