RE: How much do people need to be told in documentation.

Subject: RE: How much do people need to be told in documentation.
From: "Scott Wilborne" <wilbornes -at- vtls -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:04:35 -0400

>"Any email address that is entered in the SmartScript should be of
>the format of  A -at- A -dot- A where A is any series of numbers and letters.
>It is important that the @ sign be included and that there is a
>period after the @ sign that has characters on both sides of it,
>thus a fully qualified email address, example: joesales -at- avaya -dot- com -dot-
>If the @ sign and the period with its conditions are omitted it is
>possible that the email will not be delivered. These are the same
>rules that apply when you send an email using Avayas Microsoft
>Outlook software."

I would think that this might be a bit much. In fact, if I were to see this
detailed of an explanation, I would think that there might be something a
little different from the standard format. It seems to me that instructing
the user to enter a standard e-mail address and maybe even showing an
example would be sufficient.

>The other issue ivolves something as simple as copy and paste. In
>the document, I explain one way CTRL-C and CTRL-V. He insists that
>everywhere I use the instruction to copy or paste, that I also
>include the alternate of Edit-Copy and Edit-Paste. I eally don't care
>which one, but my response has been:

On the other hand, I do think that it can be useful to explain the ways you
can cut/copy/paste. Although this seems like a fairly standard thing, some
clients don't support all the normal forms of cut/copy/paste. Additionally,
if the user is accustomed to a non-Windows OS, then the standard windows
shortcuts may not be obvious.

Scott