Re: Minimalist manuals: a misconception

Subject: Re: Minimalist manuals: a misconception
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:16:43 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

Ah, but you can't judge a philosophy by its name alone; you have to actually
read what Carroll and others had to say about minimalism. For a few more
details and a particularly important reference to Carroll's work ("ten
misconceptions about..."), have a look at my article on this (and other)
subjects at http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/tenmyths.html

Actually, I am tolerably familiar with the philosophy (said he, huffily :-) ).

Most of it seems to echo what George Orwell had to say about writing well - and Orwell, so far as I'm concerned, pretty much said everything that needed to be said, even if he did so almost sixty years ago.

So far as I'm concerned, anyone who absorbs the ten or twelve pages of "Politics and the English Language" already understands the tenets of minimalism. And anyone who reads the whole of Orwell's work should have nothing left to learn.

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none."
- Jules Renard

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: