using 3rd-party books

Subject: using 3rd-party books
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:22:46 -0400

Our product is a Web application server. It conforms to industry standards
and therefor our customers who write applications must follow these
standards. When writing applications that run on our server they can
currently use our books which describe not only how to use our product, but
also how to write these applications. However, there are many books that
cover in-depth how to write applications.

So my doc manager had an interesting idea... why not include third-party
books that cover the basics of application development so we, the writers,
can concentrate on the more specific discussions of our product?

An example might be if the Adobe Photoshop folks started including a "Tips
and Tricks with Photoshop" book from O'Reilley (or some other company) in
their product. My question to you is what do you think of this notion? What
are the upsides/downsides? Has anyone tried it before? Is anyone doing it
now?

Matthew J. Horn