Re: Numbered Headings?

Subject: Re: Numbered Headings?
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:47:4

The usefulness of numbered headings often depends on the function of the
document. The software system I'm working with right now is a system that
must be validated under FDA regulations. Therefore, the Detailed Design
doc, Testing docs, and Maintenance Procedures (plus anything else we wish
to use for the purpose) all have to be cross-referenced with the
Requirements doc in a separate traceability matrix to prove that we've
addressed every requirement somewhere. If you tried to do that just by
heading, you'd go rapidly insane, let alone the potential hassles of
dealing with later changes/enhancements to the system when the changes
significantly affect the docs.

A system of nested, numbered headings means we can reference the relevant
section of text in the traceability matrix by number, and updates needed to
any doc that references a changed section are easier to identify. Now,
these docs are not "end user" docs, so YMMV. However, I believe it is
unnecessarily harsh to arbitrarily discount the benefits of numbered
headings when the contexts of usage may vary.

Just my $.02,
Shauna Iannone

/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN