Converting a doc fie into a pdf file using Acrobat Distiller

Subject: Converting a doc fie into a pdf file using Acrobat Distiller
From: promila chitkara <promilac -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:35:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:

Today, for the first time, I have converted a word document
(.doc file) into a .pdf file using Acrobat Distiller.
Before I list my queries regarding print and edit issues
related to the pdf file that I have created, pls. have a
look at the steps that I followed to convert my word doc
into pdf format. I think the conversion process has some
relation to the problems that I have come across:

Steps:

1. First, I selected the Print to file check box in the
Print dialog box and saved the changes.
Result: .prn file
2. Secondly, I dragged the .prn file onto the shortcut icon
of Acrobat Reader.
3. The file opened as a .pdf file. I could see
?filename.prn.pdf? in the Title Bar.

Queries:

1. I am not able to print this converted document since I
am not able to choose the appropriate printer from the
options available as there are only two options:

Acrobat Writer
Acrobat Distiller

2. Is that the right way to create pdf documents using
Acrobat Distiller? I do not have Acrobat Writer with me so
am left with no option but to use Distiller. But I am sure
that we can create pdf documents using Distiller as well
(as I got this information from the Net, a trustworthy
source).

3. Image quality has deteriorated remarkably after this
conversion.
Note: I have used .bmp files in my word doc. Please let me
know which format is best suited for such conversions.

Looking forward to your support.

Thanks in Advance,

Promila