Re: "content" vs "tools" - help!

Subject: Re: "content" vs "tools" - help!
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:56:26 +0200

I can say the following about telecommuting. I have been telecommuting from Spain now for 3 years. I am fundamentally a tech writer, and consider myself very good at the content side of things. I have come into projects that were very demanding, short-term, and even baffled others. I learned what I needed, got up to speed, and did the job long-distance with no problems.

That was then (1.5 -3 years ago), this is now. I also happen to be a good tools guy, and can write plugins for FrameMaker. These days, it turns out that's most of the work I get. There are fewer FDK programmers than writers, and the nature of the work is a bit more isolated than writing, per se. I don't mind - I think it's great fun. But I have found that departments want to *see* the person who is creating content.

More to the point, they want that person to *see* their subject-matter experts (read "engineers" in my line of work). Mind you, I don't think the engineers care one way or the other. At least they don't have me pestering them in their cubes... They can email me when they like. But I find it very difficult these days to convince the hiring mgr that I can perform from here when there's a line of people ready to perform from there.

Also, I have never gotten a *cold* writing job. Writing jobs have all come from people I knew before I left the States, or from agencies. And finding an agency that wants to handle a telecommuter isn't easy, either... To date, those have all been personal contacts as well. However, most of my programming work as been cold... Somehow word has gotten around.

Telecommute contracting is like fishing. If they aint biting on one lure, you gotta switch lures.

Not sure whether this adds anything to the discussion, but there it is.

Cheers cud

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: