Re: Leakage from head (Was: LGOAR (was RE: "content" vs "tools" - help!)

Subject: Re: Leakage from head (Was: LGOAR (was RE: "content" vs "tools" - help!)
From: CC <texchanchan -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 06:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

How many find this true of themselves? It's definitely
true for me:

> For me, when I study something, I retain it only if
> I can use it. If I can't use it within a few months,
> it all leaks out of my head, except some basic
> concepts and trivia. I might still have a nice,
> crisp certificate, but (for example) I wouldn't even

> pretend to be an ...

This is pretty embarrassing around the SMEs. During
last spring I was out for 3 or 4 months from work due
to a minor but extremely distracting health episode.
When I got back I could hardly remember the outline of
my own manual, much less the MySQL and Perl I'd picked
up last year. Note only that, but all my old files had
disappeared during an office move while I was out. It
was like starting over in a new job.

C. Crowley
texchanchan -at- yahoo -dot- com