RE: Hardest part of getting started?

Subject: RE: Hardest part of getting started?
From: "Philip Boyer" <pboyer -at- dimasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:36:47 -0500

Be sure to give the poor writer something to do immediately, whether it's
writing, proofing, editing, whatever. Don't just say, "Here, go through the
tutorial on this tool." or "Learn our software and I'll check back with you
in a week or two." On more than one occasion, I've started a job and not
done anything meaningful for several weeks. If the writer needs to learn
your software or a certain tool, give him a specific task or two or three
that both aids in the learning and accomplishes something concrete and
worthwhile to the company. Better to throw him in over his head and have him
claw his way out than to bore him with mundane tasks or inactivity.

Philip Boyer
Dimasys, Inc.