RE: Hardest part of getting started?

Subject: RE: Hardest part of getting started?
From: "Haas, Guy" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:43:58 -0700

Also in a former life, our group of 5 or 6 were all
designated buddies: one for text-formatting tool matters,
one for style matters, one for infrastructure (where is
the coffee, where are the drugs....er, first aid kit),
one for ..... You get the picture. That way, the
newbie was not ALWAYS running to the same veteran.
But we also were in genuine two-person offices,
not cubes, and the newbie almost always shared an
office with a veteran.

In a similar fashion, when we interviewed candidates, we
would determine ahead of time that player 1 would ask the
candidate about information-gathering skills, and player 2
would ask about text-formatting skills, and player 3 would
ask about getting-along skills, and player 4 would ask about
programming knowledge, etc. Not limiting the team members to
ONLY those areas, but being sure that SOMEbody had each area
covered, and at the same time, avoiding having all the team
asking the SAME questions. Interviewees can get a bad
impression if EVERYONE asks how well they get along with
SMEs, for example.

--Guy K. Haas gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net or ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley