Re: TW and Information Design

Subject: Re: TW and Information Design
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:50:46 -0400

Damien Braniff wrote:

> I'm currently doing some research into how ID can help the TW. Basically I'm looking at the different stages in the writing process and how ID can help/be applied at each stage. I've never been taught ID as such but everything I've seen/read so far in the ID field (as applied to TW) seems to be common sense. What I'd like are opinions on the stages in the writing process (valid split?) I've chosen and where ID could be applied.
>
> Stage 1 - Job assigned
> We're told what needs to be done - User Manual, Web page etc. No ID here

I can see ID (in its broadest sense) applied here when a writer attempts to
understand how the assigned project fits into the overall communications
and documentation plan of the client. Personally, I think this is necessary
for every project.

A project is normally part of a set of other items. Its ideal structure and
content may be affected by those other items. For example, if a client
already has a small, 30-page "QuickStart Guide" that gives elementary
information to new users, the writer may not want to include that guide's
content in a user guide. An analysis of the documentation set as a whole
and how the current project fits into that set may help both the client and
the writer to more effectively determine the scope of the current project.
If the project is not a free-standing document, its complementarity to
existing documents is important.

While I am calling this activity "information design", it more properly
falls into the category of developmental editing, though perhaps most
people do not think of information design and developmental editing (or
substantive editing) as being so similar.

It does seem crucial to view the documentation set as a whole before
beginning any project, so that one's efforts adhere to the overall strategy
of the client.

--
Bonnie Granat
http://home.att.net/~bgranat