RE: How many worthless stock options do yo

Subject: RE: How many worthless stock options do yo
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:18:04 -0700

It's time for a positive POV on stock options, so I'll
chime in.

Stock options are *incentives* and should not be viewed
as a replacement for a decent salary. They are a gamble;
there are no guarantees. But they are not all worthless
by any means.

In general, an option is granted with a vesting period,
usually of four years. After one year, 1/4 of the option
grant vests. Thereafter, 1/12 of 1/4 of the entire grant
vest monthly.

The price for your options is based on the current stock
price for a publicly traded company; for a start-up, the
value is usually ridiculously low (usually under $1).

Unless you are an officer of the corporation, you do not
need permission to cash in your options, but you do need
to notify the company of your intent to do so. And when you
do exercise:
a) if you do a same-day buy-and-sell, you are responsible
for payroll taxes on the proceeds
b) if you keep the stock for more than one day and less
than one year, your are responsible for short-term
capital gains taxes
c) if you keep the stock for more than one year, you are
responsible for long-term capital gains taxes
d) In some cases, it may be to your advantage to pay
Alternative Minimum Tax

I have had stock options in five different companies. The first
time, I did not exercise as the stock fell between the time my
options were granted and when they vested. The second time, I
cleared about $24k. The third time, the company sold and swapped
options for a change-of-ownership bonus of about $10k. The next
time I exercised and cleared about $16k. I have high hopes for
the options I hold now.

A friend, a technical writer who works for Cisco in Orange County
CA, payed off her house and bought two new cars for cash last year.

Stock options are not a replacement for salary; but they say that
a company respects me and the work I do because they treat me the
same as they do all their *key* employees. Management assumes that
because I have a stake in the company's success I will work hard
to make the company succeed. It's just my little secret that I
would do so anyway.

MTC, YMMV
-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com