Re: Building a web site for documentation

Subject: Re: Building a web site for documentation
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:47:20 -0700

I am sure there are many issues you did not mention, but why not use PDF? It
already does all the stuff you identified and you get to single source from
Frame, so that when the workbook changes - and it will believe me, despite
what management may say - you just make the change and then PDF. You are
done. At a cost of about $300, if you don't have Acrobat full version. If
you have Frame and Acrobat full version now, then there is only the cost of
having someone convert to PDF - about an hour to do, about 2 hours to QA.
Even for my company, that is less than $150.

I have been part of WAY too many projects where there were multiple sources
and the entire project became a maintenance nightmare. Very easy to forget
to make changes in both places. And despite what your management is saying,
at some point they will have a contract that requires hard copy of the
workbook and you do NOT want to go from DreamWeaver to hard copy.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org