Re: Dallas-Fort Worth Area

Subject: Re: Dallas-Fort Worth Area
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:16:05 -0700

Steve Arrants wrote:

> What IS it with the individual chapters of the STC? Some open their job
> banks and listings for all to see, others make you jump through hoops to
> look at listings, even if you are already a member of the STC, though in
> another chapter.

I believe that the usual rationale is that a members-only job bank provides some
value for the cost of a membership. If you're not a member of that chapter, then
it wants to make sure that you're a member of the STC so that this privilege
doesn't become available to an outsider.

Of course, that supposes that the chapter's job bank is anything like complete,
or contains jobs not found elsewhere. I don't know what the case is in other
areas, but, locally, no one source lists all the jobs currently available, or
even most of them.

More to the point, during the last four years, I have rarely seen a job listed
on the local STC site (which publicly presents openings without giving contact
information on the site) that I couldn't identify from other sources. In fact,
at any given time, I doubt the local site includes more than about 40% of
available openings. Often, it's far less.

My point isn't just that the emperor is violating public decency laws again, nor
even that you might as well pay to subscribe to an employment newsgroup. My
point is that you can probably get almost all the information on an STC job
bank elsewhere for free. That being so, why worry about its policy?

"Work and work, you won't get cold
Sleep in your boots. don't get old
Stand on your own feet, ready or not
It's friendly fire...but you still get shot."
-OysterBand, "On the Edge