Re: Fighting a losing battle

Subject: Re: Fighting a losing battle
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:08:57 -0500

Hi All

For the past 9 months I've been documenting a Java system in development. I
started very enthusiastically, suggesting improvements to screen layouts,
pointing out (to the business analyst) inconsistencies in screen designs,
spelling errors (!) and so forth just to have my ideas squashed by the "we
don't have enough developers to spend on trivial things like that" excuse.
Although it was phrased more diplomatically.

You always have to establish credibility and show that you add value with your suggestions.

Perhaps you moved to fast in the usability. Though consistency IS a tech writer area. Pointing out screen inconsistencies is correct. If they don't want to fix it, let the customers scream at them.

Spelling, on the other hand, should never be let alone. This is the one solid area where you have the expertise, hopefully, and the competence.

Of course if this company wants to be known for their shoddy work (spelling errors in a screen is unforgivable), I suggest that you start looking for a position in a company that suits you better. It really sounds like you are mismatched where you are, and that does not bode well for you.

Scott

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/