Re: Unusual resumes

Subject: Re: Unusual resumes
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:20:22 -0400

In my company, I have the unenviable task of doing these types of resumes!
(You may remember me griping about it several months ago and asking if any
other tech writers had to do this sort of thing--many do BTW). Anyway, our
HR guy recently told me to do what WW initially asked about! I.e., remove
the company names and replace it with something generic like "Large
Insurance Company" although he didn't ask to remove the dates, etc. When I
asked him why he wanted to do this, he said it was because some employers
may have had a bad experience with a particular company and they don't want
that fact to override the person's overall qualifications (whatever!) I hate
doing these resumes in the first place--even more so since all the comments
here! And I really think removing the company names is a silly idea.

Anyway, when I do have to do them, I try to stay as true to the person's
actual resume as possible--otherwise it's fiction and I might as well try to
be John Steinbeck. I also have to say that although this lot doesn't want
people messing with their resumes, I think there are plenty out there that
are happy to have it done. You wouldn't believe how little info. some people
give you for their resume. It's like pulling teeth to try to get info. Me:
"can you tell me what you did at this company". Them: "I don't really
remember". Me: "well I sure as he** don't know then"!

So, my advice to people who receive these types of resumes--please PLEASE
tell the company that is submitting them that you don't like the idea and
want the real info. and preferably the person's own resume. (I would think
clients would want the resume straight from the candidate to see what their
writing skills and attention to detail are like.) I have no clout with our
HR guy, but clients sure do!

/Kelly

> information: company name, dates of employment, etc. But a few, all from
the
> same agency, do not contain any specific company names or employment
> history. Rather, they say something like, "Software manuals, Major
National

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/