RE: ROBOHELP LIMITATIONS?

Subject: RE: ROBOHELP LIMITATIONS?
From: Michael Hoffman <mhoffman -at- thinkshare -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:39:08 -0700

>Can anyone tell me when working with RoboHelp 9 HTML version, are you able
to create a TOC with a drill down linking scheme of more than 2 links? In
other words, I have my book, representing a chapter, and then a page or
topic, but then I want to show a link to a subtopic. Possible?

You can deep-nest separate HTML pages, no problem.

The terminology is chaotic or nonexistent for inline subtopics, or anchors,
or "bookmarks", or "inline subheadings". Generally, the viewers and TOC
tools have weak, not-quite-there support for links that jump halfway down a
long page. Be sure to test the resulting behavior from the Contents, Index,
and Search tabs, and links from other topics or elsewhere in the current
topic.

The authoring tools for WinHelp and HTML Help partly support this. The help
viewers partly support this. Sometimes I call this "inline subtopics to
form a whitepaper page" - a very popular format for the Web, that should be
better supported by TOC authoring tools and by the TOC in online viewers.

My research on this subject is at my site. Techwriters ought to develop a
theory along these lines for this popular web format -- compare the new
research on FAQs. There is much more to the world of doc structuring than
the simple isolate "topic". You can read my site if interested. If people
want, I can post some fresh descriptions of the issues.

It would be interesting to sweep across the authoring tools and online
viewers to survey what features and fixes are needed for full 1st-class
support of the anchor construct.

-- Michael Hoffman
http://www.hypertextnavigation.com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/