Unix, Acrobat Reader, & named destinations

Subject: Unix, Acrobat Reader, & named destinations
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Whirlers --

I'm posting this question here out of desperation. I've checked
the archives, checked Adobe's knowledge base, and posted this
question to Adobe's user-to-user list. No joy.

I have scads of large pdf files that we access from HTML in Unix
(SGIs & HPs). I need the links to open the pdfs at specific
pages. Adobe says to use named destinations. I put together a
little test case, which worked fine on WinNT, with Netscape 4.7x
or 6.1 invoking Acrobat 5 or Acrobat Reader 4. But when I try it
out on an SGI with Netscape 4.7x and Acrobat Reader 4, the named
destination is ignored and the pdf opens at the first page.

Any ideas on what's up? Is there a better way to open pdfs at
specific locations? Am I out of luck? Sheesh, I'm frustrated.

Thanks for your help.

-- Meg

http://phone.yahoo.com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/