RE: Re: FWD: Contracting where you used to work

Subject: RE: Re: FWD: Contracting where you used to work
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:12:47 +1000

> One lesson I have gotten from this: never trust that a company will hold
to its promises if it's inconvenient to them to do so. (I should not have
accepted the six month temporary contract in the first place: six weeks to
three months would have been much more appropriate.) Hindsight is a
wonderful thing.

I have copped a few unpleasant reactions from other writers when I suggest
that this is the case and so they shouldn't be busting their back for the
company in the first place. My usual way of phrasing this though, is give em
as much loyalty as they give you - i.e. - sometimes you really ARE better
off spending most of the day cruising the web / phone looking for better
offers.

Another approach which is, in the long-term, more detrimental to your
career, to use my "bank attitude". I never believe a single word that comes
out of the mouth of any bank employee and I have a whole lot less stress
when it doesn't come true - as is usually the case. So you smile and nod
politely, then throw the conversation into the lovely hole in the middle of
your brain that used to hold the repressed memories of you pooing your pants
as an infant before you acquired a taste for the grog :-)

So if they cant hold their promises to you, your only promise to them is
your work... let them pay you to find more work and do the minimum possible
in the meantime.

Steve Hudson
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au
(612) 9518-1822
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/