Fuzzy images

Subject: Fuzzy images
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:35:07 -0400

This debate just goes on and on. The bottom line is that PDFs always look
horrible on the screen even without graphics, even with better fonts.
Anyone who has had to research academic journals online (graduate school,
anyone?) can tell you that. PDFs are not designed for on-screen viewing.

Maybe it would just be better if they removed the interface and only let you
print. The interface gives you the illusion that you can read the book
online the way that carrying your gym membership card in your wallet fosters
the illusion that you're getting in shape when the only calories you
actually burn in that place come from turning your head to look at it as you
drive by on your way to the buffet.

You can twist yourself into a knot that would make you the envy of yogis
everywhere to make your PDF look better, but the fact remains that PDFs are
not online documents and shouldn't be considered or delivered as such.
Here, we deliver the doc CD and have decided to put some kind of statement
on the initial inferface to inform the user that PDFs are very hard to read
and we suggest they print it and not try to navigate the interface at all.

There are few options: 1) Adobe augments their product and we all pay more,
2) convince management that PDFs do NOT qualify as online help or 3) we
learn to accept it and put energy into a more worthy cause. Tearing your
hair out to improve PDF appearance is a waste of energy. How much gas can
you put in a lawn mower?

Regards,

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer