RE: STC Competition Question

Subject: RE: STC Competition Question
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:09:21 -0400

Sean and others,

I stand by my original comments. But there's some rationale behind it.

Whenever I am reviewing a PDF in an online category of a competition, it
rarely measures up to the other entrants on either the degree of
interactivity or the use of the medium (both are things we rate online pubs
for). Conversely, it rarely measures up to print documents because it's
subject to the printer the person used (color v. b&w, for example).

In a competition, ideally, documents are rated on their own merits and not
compared with others, but judges, being human beings (usually <g>) find it
hard not to do that.

Regardless, a PDF document is both, and as such, it has its own set of
limitations. I think the best solution would be to have a separate PDF
category where all things are equal for all entrants.

We have encountered similar problems when someone submits a perfectly good
Help (.hlp) entry and it's stacked up against Flash demos, fully fledged Web
sites, and such. The Help file is limited by its very nature, and cannot do
all the things its competitors can. I feel in that case that the help would
be judged more accurately and equally if it were in its own category.

That's really my bottom line - things should be judged as fairly as
possible, and IMHO the best way to do that is to give PDFs their own
category.

My 2¢,

John