RE: Bonus instead of raise -- why?

Subject: RE: Bonus instead of raise -- why?
From: dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:00:43 -0400

Other respondents have raised very valid points about "compounding" your
raise. But I would also like to raise another, stickier, issue.

I'm not entirely sure if it's legal or not, but I used to work for a company
which paid bonuses in a big amount and did not withhold taxes on them. I'm
not entirely sure of all the technicalities, but I believe because they did
not withhold the taxes, and because it was a "bonus" they saved a lot of
money on taxes on their end (Workers' Comp rates, employer share of FICA,
etc.). In the end, I had to pay all of my share of taxes on those bonuses
at the end of the year. If you don't plan ahead for that, it can be a big
problem! Make sure, too, that you won't be stuck paying the employer share.

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.