RE: collecting unemployment

Subject: RE: collecting unemployment
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:32:42 +0100

>I think not. *Rights* are "the pursuit of happiness" and other such
*rights* that are
>mentioned in the U.S. Constitution and in the U.S. Bill of Rights.

In the UK we have no written constitution, and therefore perhaps have a
clearer view of this. My "rights" are what I am legally entitled to. Nothing
more - nothing less. The pursuit of happiness (I happen to know this bit!)
is defined in the constitution as an "inalienable right" - that is,
something that cannot legally be taken away from you. (Though I note that
the US government has changed its mind on at least one of those so-called
"inalienable rights".) All my rights, unfortunately, are alienable rights -
my government can take them away from me. But until it does, they're still
my rights.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer and Compendium
of Arcane and Useless Information

online registration, and more on

+++ More info: +++

Re: collecting unemployment: From: Leatta Welch