Re: Don't you love farce?

Subject: Re: Don't you love farce?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:20:40 -0500

All of this is very funny, and a welcome break in the day. But there is a
serious side that we, as techwriters, have to deal with. How much of this
"newspeak" do we adopt? How much can we expect readers to understand? If you
write about products that are expected to be in use a decade from now, which
coined words and phrases will have faded from memory, and will only serve to
confuse the reader? In 2010, will some new user be asking what the heck 24/7
means?

Of course, this has nothing to do with the original thread.

Jo

I don't use newspeak in documents. I always try to follow the KISS formula (keep it simple, stupid). I try not to mix the last two word around, as I have found that the results, while sometime hilarious, are not the kind that promote your worthiness. Any verb that has mutated is suspect. Any suspect word should be edited out. Any thing edited out should be kept out unless compelling facts or need induce you to put it back.

There, I feel much better now!

I shall now take off my miter cap, and allow the others to benefit from my pontificating.

Scott

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/