RE: _Hobbies_on_a_risumi_(WAS:_RE:_New_TECHWR-L_Poll_Question)

Subject: RE: _Hobbies_on_a_risumi_(WAS:_RE:_New_TECHWR-L_Poll_Question)
From: "Robert Rinehart" <robert -at- hgus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:10:36 -0400

Once, in a recruiting capacity, I spoke to a programmer about an opportunity
in software development. It came up, somehow, that the client's IT
department contained a lot of people from India, etc. who were here on H1B
visas. He told me that this increased his interest in the position because
he would have a lot of non-Christians to evangelize to (convert), and he was
very excited about this prospect.

I can only think that listing hobbies can only open up problems one would
not necessarily have otherwise. The person who reads your resume could
easily have any one of a nearly infinite list of bizarre hang-ups or
personal prejudices, or could simply have an ex-girlfriend they don't like
who shares your passion for cross-stitching pink camouflage doggie sweaters.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/