Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates

Subject: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- swva -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:11:55 -0400

This conversation about hobbies on resumes is oddly appropriate - I'm spending the day commenting on my students' resumes and cover letters (I can read and respond to 30 of these by 5 without shooting myself, right?).

Anyway, my question deals with the difference between a resume from an experienced person, who should have enough to say w/o hobbies, and a college senior who may not have much experience at all. In the latter case, hobbies may be "padding," but that may be the only way the student can fill out his or her resume. Do you view a list of hobbies differently in this case?

I suspect the same caveats already mentioned apply - list hobbies that reflect important skills or qualities. But beyond not listing "Chairman of the Fraternity Beer Committee" and "Streaking naked through campus," what would you recommend to students with little job-related experience (even when we count volunteering) . Some of them are really stretching for a page. BTW, we already do stress the need to get experience and do *something* besides coursework and barhopping, but not all of them do/can.

Thanks,
Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Assistant Director of Professional Writing
Department of English, Virginia Tech
http://www.english.vt.edu/~mparetti

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/