RE: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates

Subject: RE: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:35:55 -0400

Hmmm, I see the problem, and i'd only be half kidding if I recommended that
the person in question use a lot of white space and wide margins! In fact,
doing a really spiffy job of design on the resume would be a real plus.

If there's not much job content, I'd tell the person to make a list of
accomplishments, considering all aspects of his/her life. Even "devised a
method of securing trash can lids that prevented their loss or damage,
resulting in greater family harmony" would help.

In other words, have the person look at work life and "other" life in terms
of showing off the person's problem-solving skills and intellectual assets
beyond the classroom.

You can also get a lot of mileage out of picking two or three relevant
classes and stating how what you learned there applies to the job for which
you're applying. This one takes a little more ingenuity and work. It helps
if the applicant has at least gone to the library and found out something
about the company's business.

None of these is, in my view, "padding." They tell me that the person has
approached a problem and found a creative solution focused on MY business
needs.

Now it's almost 5:00, so good luck with those last few papers!

Marguerite

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/