RE: Display or appear (Was: Can "either" be used ... )

Subject: RE: Display or appear (Was: Can "either" be used ... )
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT)

(My apologies for inciting a heated debate on an such
old issue. I'm new 'round here, so I don't have the
history that you old timers do. FWIW, every discussion
forum in which I participate features frequent dead
horse beatings.)

Jennifer Carey wrote, "I doubt it makes a bit of
difference whether we say something as transparent as
appear or display."

That's a good point. I think that many of the choices
we make are transparent and irrelevant to most
readers. That fact, however, does not relieve us of
our responsibility to protect the English language.

When faced with a choice like this, and assuming
readers will understand either choice, we are
obligated to use the grammatically correct choice.

We are writers. If we don't maintain high standards,
who will?

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1