RE: Style + Outline level: Level 1

Subject: RE: Style + Outline level: Level 1
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:36:14 -0600

> I'm the anal one. I'm using the project as an opportunity to learn (with
> your help here and the help of those who are on the Frame Users list) more
> about both Frame and Word.
>
> Thanks, everyone, for all the help and the common-sense advice.

Fair enough. The tools are both similar, in that you can use styles to
dictate the formatting and behavior of ALL your text. In Frame you HAVE to
do that, but many people don't use Word in this way, because they don't
have to. (I think if they did, more of them would like Word more than they
currently do. Word styles are very powerful, and pretty stable.)

In both tools, the templates are very important, and very powerful. And,
in some cases, dissimilar in what they can do, and/or in how they
accomplish it. (Like with levels and outline view....)

Word has a lot of functionality that even most pro writers don't seem to
know about, because it's buried deep within (underneath other
functionality that Mr. Gates and Company have decided you'll want even
more).

The first thing I do when I get a new computer is spend a few hours
setting up Word to do the things _I_ want it to, which involves a lot of
modifications to the toolbars and tweaking various options and
preferences. If you're interested, Woody Leonhard's "Word 97 Annoyances"
is an invaluable tool for beating this tool into submission.

-kc

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001