Re: Editing Class

Subject: Re: Editing Class
From: dwiltshire -at- pnmt -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:03:52 -0400

From: Daniel Wiltshire -at- PUSA on 10/12/2001 10:03 AM EDT

To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
cc:

Sara:

Sorry for the slow reply; I'm on the digest.

Earlier this year, I took a similar course at Columbus State (although at the
Associate Degree level). We found there are many "handout" materials for other
courses at the college that are in serious need of editing. You know the type --
stapled packets of xeroxed sheets (usually copies of copies of copies), compiled
from different sources, hand-typed decades ago, barely legible, full of glaring
typos and grammar errors... Although the professors may not admit they have
materials for editing, may I suggest you network with other students at BG and
see if they can show you examples of particularly bad handouts from their
courses. Then come up with a proposal to show the department or professor how
much more usable the document will be after your treatment.

Good luck!

Dan

Sara Pauley wrote:
I am a master's student in the Scientific and Technical Communication
program at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH. I am
currently enrolled in an editing course, which requires me to solicit
materials for editing......

Dan Wiltshire
Senior Technical Writer
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
7708 Green Meadows Drive, Suite A
Lewis Center, Ohio 43035 USA
telephone: (740) 657-1047
fax: (740) 549-2197
preferred E-Mail address: dwiltshire -at- pnmt -dot- com
alternate E-Mail address: wiltshired -at- aol -dot- com