Re: Do'ers and Doubters (was observation about engineers)

Subject: Re: Do'ers and Doubters (was observation about engineers)
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:54:23 -0400

http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/Sturgeon's-Law.html

> I think over the past few decades, there is an emerging class of engineers
> that are more cerebral and less animal. These engineers are not,
> necessarily, less capable. They just use more passive methods to obtain
> their results.
>
> I can think of quite a few software and network engineers that would fall
> into this category. They are smart people, they merely are more passive
> and academic in their approach to problem solving.

Methinks "passive" is the wrong adjective here. Perhaps "abstract", or
"analytic". The person staring into space, trying to figure something
out, may be working just as hard as the one with the hammer. It's just
a different approach.

I tend to be one of those. My mechanical ability is just marginally
above that of the average turnip; I'm a complete klutz with tools,
but I can figure things out fairly well.