RE: Help Files for the Mac

Subject: RE: Help Files for the Mac
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:26:55 -0500

Arlen, et al...

A huge thanks to everybody who chimed in with suggestions. I received advice
than ran the gamut, and here's what I've discovered:

1. HTML Help doesn't work on a Mac (and in my experience doesn't always work
on a PC)
2. I can download the SDK (but there's always the learning curve)
3. Web Works Pro does have the ability to create Mac-compliant help (in the
form of Java-based help)

Arlen hit the nail on the head when he wrote:

> I'd stay away from anything that was explicitly
> IE-dependent; it'll save you from making a lot of enemies.

My preference for IE is just that - *my* preference. I will not run the
risk of upsetting our customers by forcing one browser over another (if I
can help it).

So, I will probably use WW Pro to compile flat HTML files from the original
SGML content for viewing in Apple's system browser. Although OSX looks
interesting, the applications for which we build plug-ins have not shipped
yet, so using the Carbon-based help is out of the question.

Thanks again to everyone who helped this writer who is used to playing in
the world of Windows, UNIX, mainframes, and AS/400s.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - t
Technical Writer | 630.430.4162 - m
Datalogics inc. | 719.623.7431 - f

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously."
- Oscar Wilde