RE: Dual-monitor system with Word?

Subject: RE: Dual-monitor system with Word?
From: "Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <dbailey -at- commandalkon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:54:59 -0500

> Does anyone have experience working with dual monitors?
> Is such a configuration feasible with Word, which is what
> I am using? I have already received an opinion from a technical
> person on campus that Word may not be able to accomodate
> such an arrangement.

I've been using dual monitors ever since the release on Windows 98, with
that OS, and every flavor of Windows since. As long as you're not using an
old version of Word it should be extremely simple for you to use two
monitors with Word. And even if yours is an old version it still will work
rather painlessly. Old versions of Word used the Single Document Interface
(SDI) paradigm, the same kind that FrameMaker uses: all documents display
as single windows inside the greater background window of Word. Newer
versions of Word use the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) paradigm, where
all documents display in their own window, as free for placement as any
independent window might be.

If you're interested in viewing a single document over both screens, that's
even easier, though with Win 98 and similar level OS's you can't maximize a
document over both screens with the click of a single button.

Your techie buddy needs to update his/her wetware knowledge base. ;-)

--Doug