Re[2]: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program?

Subject: Re[2]: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program?
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:11:51 -0400

>I think the general impression most people have of
>liberal arts majors is that they are people who could
>never decide what they wanted to do, except for work
>in the "real" world.

I shouldn't take the bait, but... if that's what people really think, the state
of education in this country is worse than I thought. The implication is that
education is strictly a matter of vocational training, and that a narrow
education in one field is preferable to a broad-based education in a variety of
fields.

How many people at age 18 really, really know what they want to do with
their lives? IMHO, a lot of 18-year-olds doggedly insert themselves into
one vocational track or another, not out of any genuine passion, but out of
the dutiful sense that they must "decide what they want to do." At least
some of them would be better off gaining a broader education that would
make them aware of other possibilities, and-- ideally-- enrich their lives
in ways not directly attached to a paycheck.

After spending four years studying everything from literature to biology to
music, I emerged from Vassar with sharp analytical skills and a
fearlessness about learning new things. Those four years helped make me the
person I am. I can't imagine any better preparation for the life (and
career) I have now.

Okay, I'll try to get off the soapbox now. Back to work, me.

Christine