RE: Simple symbol question

Subject: RE: Simple symbol question
From: "Mike Starr" <writstar -at- wi -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:28:41 -0500

Possibly chiming in late on the thread but I learned that:

these [ ] are called brackets (not "square brackets)
these { } are called braces (not "curly brackets")
these ( ) are called parentheses
this < is called a "less than" symbol (not an "angle bracket")
this > is called a "greater than" symbol (not an "angle bracket")

As far as I'm concerned, if they "call" them something else in Australia, I
don't care. I'll call them what they're called in my dictionary. I try my
best to avoid using "greater than" and "less than" symbols as substitutes
for parentheses, brackets or braces. I'm not averse to using them as
command delimiters <see below>.

<gentle tweak>Of course, they do have some strange habits in Oz</gentle
tweak> <grin> (anyone who's been a HATT subscriber recently might recall
some recent threads that took our Aussie friends to task for some of their
strange concepts).


Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator
Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher - MS Office Expert
Office: (262) 694-1028 - Pager: (414) 318-9509 - Fax: (262) 697-6334
Home (262) 694-0932 - mike -at- writestarr -dot- com -

-----------------------Original Message-----------------------
>Subject: Re: Simple symbol question
>From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
>Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:40:42 +1000
>X-Message-Number: 10
>Peter has made his decision (to call them "angle brackets"), and I'll add
>another reason to those other people have mentioned:
>Many Australians call ( and ) "brackets" rather than "parentheses", so I
>make sure I say "angle brackets" if it's important to distinguish < and >
>from other brackets. As others have mentioned, this is definitely a good
>place to include the symbols as well as the descriptive terms.
>As Peter has a UK address, I'm wondering whether Brits call ( and )
>parentheses or brackets or something else?
>Regards, Jean
>Jean Hollis Weber
>mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
>The Technical Editors' Eyrie
>pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk wrote:
>>Anyone know what these symbols are known as when used as brackets (rather
>>than mathematical symbols)?

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe,
New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day.
For details and online registration, visit

Your monthly sponsorship message here reaches more than
5000 technical writers, providing 2,500,000+ monthly impressions.
Contact Eric (ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) for details and availability.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: RE: Don't you love farce? - The Solution
Next by Author: Re: Display or appear (Was: Can "either" be used ... )
Previous by Thread: RE: Simple symbol question
Next by Thread: RE: Simple symbol question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads