Re: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: Re: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:10:00 -0700

I went thru a layoff process once. They called a company meeting. As people
got to the area of the meeting, some were sent to one room, others were sent
to another. Then the doors were closed. In my room, the CEO said "Anyone you
don't see here no longer works here. You are to forget about them, because
they are not important. You are the movers and do-ers in this company."

In the other room, they were told by the president of the company that they
were being laid off. They would be taken one by one to their desks by
security, where they would be able to pack their personal stuff under
observation. They would not be allowed to touch their computer. They would
not be allowed back on the premises after they left. Did I mention that with
one exception, they were all women or people of color? 1 token white male in
the group.

Needless to say, this was a pretty brutal layoff and most of us spent about
a week in mourning because it was a small company - about 20 techies, 40
other people - and we were all pretty close. I have about 40 more true
stories about that place. Horrible management, wonderful techie people.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org