RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:02:46 -0500

Did you ever get paid for your half day? Payday Law provisions ensure that employees get paid. This isn't true for contractors, but employees always get paid. But, you have to apply at the unemployment office. The same sort of thing happened to us, but our company said they could not pay us for the two weeks we had worked. They asked us to go back to our desks and keep working. Some did. Some didn't. Those that stayed were hired by the prime contractor as temps, so they wouldn't have to pay severance later. And, we had to sign a non-coercion agreement. It turned out that the prime contractor kept the money the government gave them to pay the subcontractor (our payroll).

Payday Law payments come out of unemployment taxes without reducing your benefits when you apply for unemployment. It might reduce your unemployment payments, but I don't think it works that way, since you are being paid for work done earlier than your claim.

David