Re: Jargon Lovin' Fool

Subject: Re: Jargon Lovin' Fool
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:09:34 -0700

CHRISTINE ANAMEIER wrote:

There are people who need all the knowledge you can impart to them.
There are other people--many other people--who just want to do their
jobs and will never, ever, ever need to know what DHCP is. They're the
ones I write for.

After reading and partly participating in this exchange, I find myself firmly in the middle. That is, I suspect that most people neither wish to become experts nor to remain completely ignorant of the subject. Instead, I think that most want brief overviews to go with the procedure - enough so that they don't feel completely clueless, but not so much that they have to invest a lot of time and effort.

Of course, this suspicion is probably very self-serving. Left to myself, that's what I tend to provide, so of course I want to believe that is what people want. However, I must add that the manuals that I enjoy writing the most are the ones in which I can really go into detail and provide full explanations.

"In the ashes of American Jerusalem
The prophets live their deaths out on the corner
The pretty people say, 'There should have been a warning'
But nobody heard it."
-Rod MacDonald, "American Jerusalem"

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001