RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com> wrote:
> Well, at a very high level that is true. But what
> about
> all those company-specific decisions that have been
> made
> that you shouldn't have to revisit every time? You
> know,
> things like standard dpi for graphics, line widths
> and
> arrowheads for diagrams and callouts, Acrobat
> Distiller
> settings--just to name a few?
>
> It's one thing to say, "here are the templates, go
> it," and another to say, "here's a really basic
> style guide
> that lists the decisions we've made about phrasing
> and formatting so you don't have to guess how we
> do things."

Those who have it will give it to you. Those who don't
have it really haven't standardized yet. At least
that's been my experience. If you have a standard,
it's usually written down SOMEWHERE so a) no one
forgets, and b) to back up any contrary feedback from
others. Same goes for job options, templates, and the
like. If it's in place, it's either circulated around
or is stored somewhere where people can grab it. If
not, whoever is running the show needs a slap in the head.

http://personals.yahoo.com