Re: PDFs on Unix

Subject: Re: PDFs on Unix
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:33:34 -0400

Emily Berk wrote:

> Please let's not make this the first volley in another tools war, but ...
>
> What have your experiences been with Unix users (apparently some are pretty
> militantly anti-GUI, even MORE anti-GUI than I am!) and PDFs.

You'd run into problems if you wanted them read on no-GUI machines. For
example, PDFs might be a dumb way to deliver docs that needed to be read
by some in the middle of installing a firewall. They would not want X on
that machine.

You might also have a problem with Open Source advocates who object to
using the proprietary tool Acrobat. This is easily solved; just have
them install Ghostscript:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Even on Windows boxes, I prefer this to Acrobat, mainly because it handles
Postscript files well.