Re: Layoffs-puzzling question

Subject: Re: Layoffs-puzzling question
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 05:43:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- Rad -dot- co -dot- il> wrote:
> I understand that some people could delete files or do other damages, but I
> think these cases are so rare that they really do not warrant treating
> everyone badly. Am I right?

Layoffs are generally cruel in and of themselves. While nearly all of us are
quite happy to fire the company we work for--we call it taking a better
opportunity or leaving a bad situation or simply making a career-enhancing
move--we don't much like it when the company does that to us. I suppose I have
been fortunate that, with one exception, I've worked for and in organizations
that did a good job of making force reductions as humane as possible consistent
with protecting company assets. Certainly, most of the stories I've read in
this thread are far worse than anything I have witnessed or experienced.

There is no excuse for treating people badly, during layoffs or at any other
time. But an organization does have a right to protect its assets from
vandalism and mischief, and these activities do occur in organizations during
layoffs. As for whether layoffs should be handled one way versus another
way--and we've had several good examples of that in this thread as well--I
still haven't read of a magic approach that makes everybody happy. I haven't
heard of one that really makes anybody happy.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

http://personals.yahoo.com