Example of synopsis?

Subject: Example of synopsis?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:01:18 -0400

Harry Husted wonders: <<Can someone give me a good example of a synopsis. I
don't want just an explanation of one I want an example of one.>>

Yup: "The Oxford English Dictionary offers a synopsis of all English
literature ever written." <g> You didn't specify what type of synopsis
you're looking for, so it's pretty hard to provide an example that's useful
to you. But consider the following synopsis of techwr-l: "All technical
writing, all the time." Or, in a bit more detail: "Techwr-l is a discussion
group of some 5000 technical communicators with a ride range of industry and
tools experience, in which members of the community can obtain answers to
challenging questions related to writing, design, and other aspects of
technical communication."

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse [We're Happily Overcoming Repulsive
E-mailfiltering]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has
pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle
their pockets for new vocabulary."-- James D. Nicoll (possibly Booker T.
Washington)