French index keywords in RoboHelp 9.x?

Subject: French index keywords in RoboHelp 9.x?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:46:07 -0400

I'm currently converting an English WinHelp file created in RoboHelp 9.x
into its French companion. I imported the English file so that I wouldn't
have to rebuild the structure from scratch, and I'll be copying and pasting
the French text beside the English when it arrives from the translator.
(This way, I get to ensure that the translator didn't miss anything and that
both languages say the same thing before I remove the English.) So far so
good: the file compiles perfectly with all the links intact.

However, I'm working on translating the index while I wait for the main
text, and just encountered a honking big collision with reality: RoboHelp
won't let me use apostrophes--at least not if I type them directly from the
keyboard, not if I type '' (double single quotes), not and not if I use a \,
a /, or & prefix. Thus, it won't accept "fichier d'aide en ligne" (etc.) as
an index entry, and I'm forced to resort to "fichier--aide en ligne", which
is ugly. Does anyone have a good workaround that will let me use apostrophes
in the index keywords? (The online help--predictably--offers no insights, at
least not with the search keywords I'm using.) I'm assuming that accented
letters will work, since they appear in the index tab of the topic's
properties and I got no warnings for including them, but if anyone's
encountered problems with this, I need to know soon so I can fix the
problem!

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"It is at this point that Shaftoe makes his Big Decision. It is surprisingly
easy--but then, really stupid decisions are always the easiest."--Neal
Stephenson, Cryptonomicon