RE: Now I really am the Doctator

Subject: RE: Now I really am the Doctator
From: "Roy, Gary" <RoyG -at- hydroaire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:50:56 -0800

Occasionally, I have encountered a similar shirking of accountability by
document originators - some individuals will release documents without
attesting that the contents are suitable for public release. In cases such
as this, it may be appropriate to attach a checklist and circulation sheet
to the Proposals, Project Charter, Requirements, Functional Design, UAT
Plan, and QA Plan documents that acknowledge use of the templates by the
reviewers and the originator (listed on the circulation sheet). A signature
block on the circulation sheet can be used to leverage accountability and
ownership. A business law professor once told me, "Make copies of everything
and sue everyone." The former holds true for the sign-off process. A signed
document today is better than a good excuse tomorrow. Keep records of the
individuals that do not follow the process. If the originator and reviewers
do not sign the circulation sheet, raise the issue with the QA or ISO (if
applicable) Rep. in your organization. If you have QA on your side, the
issue will have greater merit.

Gary Roy
Crane Aerospace
3000 Winona Avenue