Re: Thin Space?

Subject: Re: Thin Space?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:57:36 -0500

Lin and all,

Simon and I corresponded off-list about our disparate definitions of a thin. We came to the conclusion that traditional US usage is one-third of an em (shorthanded as 3-em) and international usage (apparently including Microsoft Typography) is 5-em. 4-em occurs sometimes, too. Your best bet is to say what you mean (using a number) if there is any chance of confusion.


Simon North wrote:

A thin space is a 1/5th of an em space (the width of the letter m in that particular font). In practical terms, it's about the width of a comma. It's often used for fine typographic control and especially with foreign languages and typesetting math.

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe,
New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit

Your monthly sponsorship message here reaches more than
5000 technical writers, providing 2,500,000+ monthly impressions.
Contact Eric (ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) for details and availability.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Re: Thin Space?: From: Simon North

Previous by Author: Re: Thin Space?
Next by Author: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
Previous by Thread: Re: Thin Space?
Next by Thread: Re: Thin Space?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads