creating an index element in Frame+SGML

Subject: creating an index element in Frame+SGML
From: "Beliaeva, Anastasia" <abeliaeva -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:04:59 -0500

Hello everyone,

Our company uses FrameMaker+SGML, but, unfortunately, none of us is an
expert in SGML. The people who had a bit of knowledge left without sharing
it with us. Right now, we are trying to introduce indexes in our documents
(something that has never been done before). We seem to be able to create
the markers and generate the index file. But this is where we get stuck:

When we look in the structure view of the book file, the index file is not
connected to the structure tree. It appears as a BOOK-COMPONENT element and
there is a red dotted line beside it. The TOC does not recognize and reflect
the index file as well.

We understand that we need to create an Index element. And probably, some
modifications need to be made in the EDD template.
But how do we create that element? what is the relationship between the
templates and the elements? What templates do we need to make changes in
(TOC, EDD, our document templates)?

The FrameMaker+SGML User Guide doesn't seem to have the answers to our
questions, or, maybe, we just do not know where to look. Maybe, some of you
know of a good manual that describes all these things.

So we really appreciate help from the FrameMaker+SGML gurus out there.
Please, show us the way................

Thank you in advance for all your help.