RE: Technial Writing Unions

Subject: RE: Technial Writing Unions
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:25:00 -0700

Sarah asks

> Is it fair to arrive in on Monday morning to be told that you no longer
> have a job and that you must leave the building immediately with no
> redundancy package? Would that be considered "being abused, wronged or
> otherwise maltreated", as Darren said in an earlier post? Personally, I
> would consider that it is.

In jobs I've worked, the employer's right to terminate me is defined in
the paperwork I fill out. Maybe it's "fire at will," maybe it's "2 weeks
notice," maybe there's a complete severance package that I negotiate. But
the bottom line is that I've always had to sign something that says I
agree to those terms BEFORE I start working. Did you do that also?

If you did, and the way they terminate you violates those agreed-upon
terms, you're right, it IS unfair. But if it doesn't, it's not unfair -
it's just unfortunate.

Some things to remember: A job is not a right. Not all companies succeed.
Not all companies can keep you, even if they wish they could.

We tech writers had a gold rush for a few years, but now it seems like
there's some fallout. And while it's messing with many of our lives, I
don't think it's actually violating our rights.

- Keith Cronin

"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write
faster than anybody who can write better."

- A.J. Liebling (1904-1963)