Union of the Snake

Subject: Union of the Snake
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:22:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Nancy Mignone <n_mignone -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I believe we are seriously off-topic here and that this topic brings up
> very
> strong feelings. I myself was raised working class and very pro-union.
> As
> for capitalism whipping anything and everything, I'm not interested in
> your
> political opinions.

While there is a political element to this discussion - and I am surely
one to voice mine. There is a professional aspect to this. One that tech
writers should consider. Is joining a union beneficial?

Some people think it is, and they are presenting their reasons. Some of
those reasons make sense, some don't. I am doing the same thing. Of course
I am right and you are all wrong. :-D

By the very nature of unions, there is a political aspect to them. I think
they are useless in the world of high-tech. They do more damage than good.
However, in other industries they are beneficial. Unskilled or trade
skills tend to fair better with unions then specialized technical skill.

Should you join a union - well that's up to you. I wouldn't. I can
negotiate on my own. I believe that skill and intelligence are more
powerful a negotiation tool than brute force and intimidation of the
masses. Many high-tech firms are quite bluntly not interested in the
politics of unions and won't much care to hire a pack of unionist. You'd
be better off to sharpen your technical and negotiation skills.

But, that's my opinion.

Despite many of the political overtones to this discussion, I think it is
on topic and I hope Eric allows it to run its course. I also hope that we
can all see that just because a person does not like the concept of unions
(or does like them) does not mean they hate you as an individual.

And don't call me Shirley.

Andrew Plato

Do You Yahoo!?

Re: Technical Writing Union: From: Nancy Mignone