RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:46:54 -0000

Hello,

I don't know which dot-coms you've worked for, but in my company we paid
people salaries commensurate with industry standards and their achievements.
If they did well, they got a raise. If they didn't, they didn't get a raise.
Furthermore, thanks to my contract, my benefits package can't disappear or
be modified without my express approval. Regardless, none of my four dot-com
employers attempted to worsen my benefits package. As a professional, I
don't expect overtime pay. If a company expects me to regularly work a lot
of overtime they'd better pay me a lot of money. Otherwise, I'll find
another job.

I don't deny that unions have achieved valuable gains in the past. Having
spent a frustrating year and a half in a union, I also agree that unions
need to radically change if they're going to remain relevant. My experience
taught me that a union trades innovation and flexibility for job security,
that a union encourages mediocrity and the status quo instead of motivating
achievement. In a field that depends on original thinking, how can a union
be a useful institution? DB.

<snip>