Re: Need help please

Subject: Re: Need help please
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 05:36:53 -0800 (PST)

In two+ years at my currently ailing company, I have
reported to the Managing Director of
Design/Frameworks, the VP of Quality Management, the
EVP of Product Management, the EVP of Product
Marketing, and now the Chief Marketing Officer. The
documentation I produce has always been diverse, and
working in these different "organizations" has given
me high visibility across the company.

We just had our fifth RIF (after a merger in
September) and the CMO protected me because he knows I
can write not only for product and consultants in the
field, but for analysts and business line managers,
too. There are two product documentation groups and I
am not in either. I'm the lone, rogue writer in
Marketing, and I like where I am. Do I wish I were a
more *technical* technical writer? Yes, but I have
also picked up new skills such as graphical design,
course development, ASP, corporate branding and
messaging, and usability. Anyway, per a concurrent
thread on this list, making me more technical is more
a matter of tools than writing ability, and some day
I'll be documenting APIs and SDKs. If I (we) hold out
long enough I just might get there! :D

Kelly

P.S. Marketing often has the budget and the headcount
when other departments are at risk in this economic
climate. I'm just happy to be working and adding new
content to my portfolio!

http://personals.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp